History of the Daimler Motor Company (GB)
The Daimler Motor Company Limited, was an independent British motor vehicle manufacturer founded in London by H. J. Lawson in 1896,
which set up its manufacturing base in Coventry. The company bought the right to the use of the Daimler name simultaneously from
Gottlieb Daimler and Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft of Cannstatt, Germany. After early financial difficulty and a reorganization of
the company in 1904, the Daimler Motor Company was purchased by Birmingham Small Arms Company (BSA) in 1910, which also made cars
under its own name before World War II. In 1933, BSA bought the Lanchester Motor Company and made it a subsidiary of Daimler.
In the 1950s, Daimler stopped making Lanchesters, and tried to widen its appeal with a line of new developed sport cars and
high-performance luxury limousines. Their chairman, Sir Bernard Docker and his newly married wife Norah Collins performed highly
publicised extravagances. This led to the fact that the newly crowned Queen Elizabeth II, who had a preference for Rolls-Royce anyway,
did not use Daimler for official events since 1955. Docker was succeeded by Jack Sangster as chairman, following a 1956 boardroom coup.
Daimler One O Four - DF310 - Oldtimer with Wilson Pre-selctor Gearbox
|One - O - Four DF310 - 3½ Litre|